Ackee & Mushroom Fried Grains
If you’ve never tried ackee before then this delicious and easy dish is a great introduction to the mild and creamy savoury fruit. This is a spicy twist on fried rice with all the fantastic flavours of the Caribbean and using our tasty Caribbean, Couscous, Rice n’ Beans.
Heat the oil in a deep-sided frying pan over a medium heat. Add the mushrooms and peppers and cook for 3 minutes until lightly browned. Add the whites of the onions, chilli and garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant. Stir in the tomatoes and then add the grains and soy sauce. Break up the grains with the spoon and cook for another minute or two. Add the ackee and cook, tossing gently so as not to break up the ackee, for another 3-4 minutes or until the ackee are heated through. Check for seasoning.
Scatter with the greens of the spring onions and coriander and serve immediately.
Tip: the price of ackee has gone up in recent months so it’s worth shopping around and looking in your local world food shops for the best price.
- 1 tbsp sunflower or coconut oil
- 2 spring onions, sliced, white and greens separated
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- ½ red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- ½ scotch bonnet chilli or 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 x packet of Ainsley Harriott Caribbean Couscous, Rice N’ Beans
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 plum or beef tomato, chopped
- 1 x 280g tin of Ackee, drained
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander or parsley