Bean, Charred Corn & Couscous Chopped Salad
Inspired by the Tiktok cowboy caviar trend we’ve created a bean and couscous chopped salad that’s flavour packed and perfect for a light lunch, or as a BBQ side dish or for serving in tacos or wraps with mashed avocado. For a vegan friendly version – leave out or swap the feta for a dairy-free cheese and use maple syrup instead of honey for the dressing.
Prepare the couscous according to the packet instructions. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
Heat a dry frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the corn and cook until lightly charred. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
In a large bowl mix together the beans, peppers, onion, tomatoes, jalapeno, cucumber and cooled corn. Add the couscous and toss through.
In a small bowl whisk together the dressing ingredients until emulsified and season with salt and pepper.
When ready to serve add the feta to the salad, drizzle over the dressing and toss together.
- For the Salad
- 1 x packet of Ainsley Harriott Caribbean or Tomato & Chilli Couscous
- 1 small tin of sweetcorn, rinsed and drained
- 1 x can of mixed beans or black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 yellow or green pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 3 tbsp jalapeno slices, from a jar (or 1-2 fresh, sliced)
- 10 black olives, sliced
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 75g feta cheese, diced
- For the Dressing
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- pinch of cayenne
- pinch of cumin
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper