Caprese Couscous with Crispy Chickpeas & Pesto
This is a tasty twist on a caprese salad with the addition of crispy chickpeas, couscous and pesto. Simple to make and full of flavour and texture, it’s a great salad for a light lunch or dinner. We’ve used fresh lemon zest and oregano on our chickpeas for a fresh Mediterranean flavour, but you can use a spices such as cayenne or paprika if you fancy something a bit punchier.
Preheat the oven to 200C/180Cfan/Gas 6
Make sure the chickpeas are patted completely dry and then toss with the olive oil and a good pinch of salt. Transfer to a baking tray in a single layer. Bake for 30-35 minutes, shaking the tray every 10 minutes, until crispy. Remove from the oven, sprinkle over the lemon zest, oregano and chilli flakes (if using) and toss to coat.
Meanwhile make up the couscous according to the packet instructions. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
To serve, pile the couscous in the middle of a serving bowl. Arrange the sliced tomatoes, mozzarella and avocado around the edge of the bowl. Top with crispy chickpeas and drizzle over the pesto. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
- 1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, rinsed, drained and patted dry
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- zest from ½ lemon
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- pinch of chilli flakes or Aleppo Pepper (optional)
- 1 x packet of Ainsley Harriott Couscous
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 ball of mozzarella, sliced
- 1 avocado, destoned and diced
- 4 basil leaves, shredded, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp pesto loosened with a little extra virgin olive oil