Caramelised Plantains with Island Couscous
Inspired by Ainsley’s journey around the Caribbean, here’s a delicious island salad using our Couscous.
In a large frying pan over a medium-high heat, fry the chopped ripe plantains in the coconut oil until nicely caramelised and golden brown (about 5 minutes).
Meanwhile, make up the Couscous according to the packet instructions and mix with the coriander, spring onion, avocado, scotch bonnet chilli, cherry tomatoes and a small tin of black beans.
Toss together, season to taste and serve with the plantains scattered on top and the yoghurt dressing on the side (mix together the yoghurt, hot pepper sauce, a squeeze of lemon or lime and chopped mint – loosen with a drop of water if necessary).
- 1-2 ripe plantains, chopped into 1cm slices
- 2 tsp of coconut oil, more if needed
- 1 packet of Ainsley Harriott Lemon, Mint & Parsley Couscous
- handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 small tin of black beans
- ¼- ½ scotch bonnet chilli, finely chopped
- 4-6 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp natural yoghurt
- dash of hot pepper sauce
- squeeze of lemon or lime juice
- 2 tsp fresh mint, chopped