Chargrilled Watermelon with Sunshine Slaw & Honey Orange Dressing
Charring on a hot griddle or barbecue really brings out the natural juices and sugars of the watermelon in this delicious and colourful salad. Delightful! If you don’t have any fresh coconut, you can use toasted coconut flakes.
Preheat a barbecue or a griddle pan over a medium–high heat.
First, make the dressing. In a small bowl, combine the orange zest and juice, mustard, honey (hot pepper sauce if using) and salt, then slowly whisk in the olive oil until emulsified.
Slice the watermelon into quarters vertically, then into 21⁄2cm slices with the skin still attached. Brush the watermelon slices with the honey orange dressing and place directly onto the hot barbecue grill or into the hot griddle pan and cook for 3–4 minutes on each side, until heavily charred. Remove and set aside.
Finally, make the slaw. In a large bowl, combine the cabbages, papaya, mango, apple, coriander, mint and coconut and pour over half of the remaining dressing. Arrange the slaw on serving plates, lay the watermelon slices on top and spoon over the rest of the honey orange dressing.
- 1 small watermelon
- For the Sunshine Slaw
- 150g purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 150g white cabbage, thinly sliced
- 100g papaya, thinly sliced
- 100g mango, thinly sliced
- 1 tart apple (e.g. Granny Smith), thinly sliced
- a small handful of coriander, finely chopped
- a small handful of mint, finely chopped
- 50g fresh coconut, grated
- For the Honey Orange Dressing
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp local honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- (dash of hot pepper sauce – optional)