Chicken and Mushroom Curry with Wild Mushroom Couscous
A quick and delicious curry for two – great for a week-night meal or a weekend curry nigh in. It’s packed full of flavour and our wild mushroom couscous makes a delightful change to the usual side of rice.
Put the oil in a large wide pan over a medium-high heat and add the chopped onions, garlic and ginger and fry for 8 minutes until the onions have softened and turned golden brown. Add the whole chilli and stir.
Add the garam masala, ground cumin, chill powder and turmeric and stir before adding the diced chicken. Fry for 3 minutes until the chicken starts to brown at the edges, stirring well so that it is coated in all the spices.
Add the tomato puree, water, stock cube and honey. Reduce the heat, cook on a simmer without a lid for 5 minutes then add the sliced mushrooms and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Prepare the couscous according to the instructions on the back of the packet and fluff with a fork. Serve the curry with the couscous and sprinkle with chopped coriander.
- 2 tbsp vegetable or groundnut oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cm piece of ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 1 whole fat green chilli, pierced
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- pinch chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless, diced into 1.5cm chunks
- 150g mushrooms, cut into thick slices
- 1 ½ tbsp tomato puree
- 200ml water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 packet Ainsley Harriott Mushroom Couscous
- fresh coriander, chopped, to serve