Chickpea Curry & Spice Sensation Couscous
Simple and tasty – this vegan chickpea curry is great for a weeknight meal. Serve with our Spice Sensation Couscous.
Heat the oil in a sauté pan or deep side frying pan. Add the cumin and mustard seeds and cook for 1 minute until sizzling and fragrant. Add the onion, ginger and garlic. Add a pinch of salt and cook over a medium heat for 6-8 minutes until the onion is softened and brown in places.
Add the ground coriander, turmeric, cayenne, and half the garam masala and stir before adding the tomatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the chickpeas, a good pinch of salt, 100ml of water and stir well. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 8-10 minutes. Add the coconut milk, remaining garam masala and half the coriander and simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes until the flavours have infused. If using spinach stir through just to wilt. Check for seasoning.
Garnish with the remaining coriander and serve with Ainsley Couscous.
TIP: serve with a side of chilli-mint yoghurt. Mix together 4 tbsp coconut yoghurt with ½ tsp dried mint, a finely chopped green chilli and a pinch of salt.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or groundnut/vegetable oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds, lightly bashed
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (optional)
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 5 cm root ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ¼ - ½ tsp cayenne, to taste
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 3 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 2 x 400g tins of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- handful of coriander, chopped, plus extra to serve
- 1 x 400g tin of coconut milk
- 80g of spinach (optional)
- Ainsley Harriott Spice Sensation Couscous, to serve