Chilli Cheese & Potato Stuffed Roti
Inspired by the Trinidadian street food pepper roti these deliciously spiced cheese and potato filled rotis are great for a light lunch or snack. Try with a fried egg and our Red Pepper Ketchup for a tasty brunch.
Prepare the roti dough according to the packet instructions.
Parboil the potatoes for approx 10 minutes until just fork tender. Drain and rinse in cold water. Allow to cool. When cool enough to handle grate into a bowl
Put the green pepper, spring onion, garlic, chilli and coriander into a small food processor and blitz until finely minced. Tip into the bowl with the potato and add the grated cheese. Season and mix together well.
Divide the roti dough into four and on a lightly floured surface roll out to approx. 18cm rounds, lightly coat the top with oil, fold in half and then half again and then roll to form a ball. Roll the balls out again to 18cm rounds. Spoon a quarter of the potato and cheese mixture onto the centre of 1 roti. Fold up one side to cover the filling. Fold over the opposite side and press to seal. Repeat with the two remaining ends until the filling is enclosed in the dough ball, pressing the edges to seal well. Use lightly floured hands to gently flatten the ball. Place the flattened ball seam side down and gently roll out, rotating the dough after every 2 or 3 rolls. Roll out as thick or thin as you like, being careful not to tear the dough. Repeat with the remaining dough balls and filling. Heat 1 tbsp oil until it just starts to smoke lightly. Place a filled roti in the pan and cook for 1 minute until golden. Gently flip to cook the other side for 1-2 minutes, until cooked through and golden brown. Keep warm while you cook the remaining roti, adding more oil if needed.
Serve with Ainsley Hot Pepper Sauce or Red Pepper Curried Ketchup for dipping.
*Our Ainsley Caribbean Creations range is available now from selected Tesco stores.
- 1 x packet of Ainsley Traditional Roti Mix (+160ml cold water/vegetable oil for coating & frying)*
- 2 medium potatoes (approx. 175g total when peeled), peeled
- ½ green pepper, deseeded, roughly chopped
- 2 spring onion, roughly chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, roughly chopped
- ½ scotch bonnet chilli or 1 medium-hot red chilli, deseeded
- good handful of fresh coriander
- 125g grated Cheddar cheese
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Ainsley Hot Pepper Sauce or Curried Red Pepper Ketchup, to serve*