Chorizo Crusted Hake on Boulangère Potatoes
From Ainsley’s Food We Love, ITV
This is one of my favourite meals to make as a special treat for guests – the potatoes can be prepped and cooked in advance and the fish popped on top and baked at last minute. I love the way the smoky flavours of the chorizo bleed into the fish and potatoes – delicious!
Preheat the oven to 180°C/160C fan/gas 4.
Arrange a layer of sliced potatoes over the base of a lightly greased and seasoned large baking dish, followed by a layer of sliced onions, a scattering of thyme and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Keep alternating layers of potatoes and onions, lightly seasoning each layer and finishing with a layer of potatoes that slightly overlap each other. Pour over the stock, season the top layer with a little salt and pepper. Put little flecks of butter all over the potatoes, cover and bake at the top of the oven for 40-45 minutes until tender.
Rub the fish fillets with a little olive oil, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle over the thyme leaves. Layer the thin slices of chorizo on top of each fillet like the scales of a fish, drizzle with a little olive oil.
Carefully sit the fish on top of the potatoes and turn the oven temperature up to 200C/180Cfan. Return to the oven and cook for 12-15 minutes or until the fish is cooked through depending on the thickness of your fillets.
Scatter the fish with some fresh parsley and serve with the boulangère potatoes and a side of salad.
- olive oil
- 4 hake or cod fillets, skinless
- Spanish chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1kg Desirée potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 3 or 4 sprigs thyme, roughly chopped
- 275ml good vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- chopped fresh parsley, to serve
- bag of simply dressed baby leaf salad, to serve