In a large heavy-based saucepan melt the coconut oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-6 minutes until soft and without colour and then add the chilli and garlic. Continue to cook for a minute and then add the curry powder and saffron and cook the spices for 2-3 minutes, until fragrant.
Add the peppers, pumpkin and tomato and then tip in the stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the pumpkin is soft. Stir in the coconut milk, molasses and spinach and simmer until the spinach has wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with chopped coriander and serve.
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet chilli, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp curry powder
- a pinch of saffron
- 1 red pepper, large dice
- 1 yellow pepper, large dice
- 1 small pumpkin (or squash), peeled & cut into approx 2 1/2cm chunks
- 2 large tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses (optional)
- 100g spinach, washed and drained
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small handful coriander, chopped