Put the milk and water into a pan and bring to the boil. Slowly pour in the cornmeal, stirring all the time with a wooden spoon to prevent it from going lumpy. Add the salt, nutmeg, sugar and evaporated milk and leave to simmer gently, stirring every now and then, for 10–12 minutes.
Serve sprinkled with some brown sugar and a little chilled cream, if you wish.
TRADITIONAL SCOTTISH PORRIDGE
Replace the cornmeal or polenta with rolled porridge oats and leave out the nutmeg, sugar and evaporated milk. Simmer for just 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and serve topped with extra cold milk, or a little cream and a sprinkling of demerara sugar.
- 900 ml (1 1⁄2 pints) full-cream milk
- 300 ml (10 fl oz) water
- 100 g (4 oz) cornmeal or polenta
- a pinch of salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons evaporated milk
- To Serve
- muscovado or demerara sugar
- single or double cream (optional)