Coronation Kebabs with Spiced Jersey Royals & Mango Salad
Celebrate the King’s coronation with this update on the classic Coronation Chicken. I’ve taken the flavours of the retro favourite and created a fresh, light and vibrant meal that’s perfect for a springtime celebration. The curry spices and zesty fresh lime work perfectly with the chicken and mango and the creamy and flavourful potato salad is the perfect accompaniment. The earthy spices and sweet mango also work great with lamb for a modern twist on this classic dish so, if you like, try a mixed platter of lamb and chicken skewers – the flavour combination is fantastic.
Put the chicken pieces in a large bowl and add the yoghurt, chutney, curry powder, garlic, seasoning, lime zest and the juice of half the lime. Toss to coat. Cover and marinate for at least half an hour or chill to marinate for longer.
In a dry frying pan over a medium heat toast the mustard and coriander seeds and curry powder until fragrant. Tip into a pestle and mortar and coarsely crush. Put into a large bowl and add the extra virgin olive oil and the lime juice and a good pinch of salt.
Meanwhile boil the potatoes in well salted water for 14-16 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain and cut the potatoes in half or quarters if large. Toss in the curried dressing and leave to cool. Add the sliced radish and chives to the cooled potatoes. Mix together the mayonnaise and yoghurt and stir through the potatoes. Season with black pepper and more salt if needed.
Meanwhile remove the chicken from the fridge 30 minutes before you want to cook and thread on to skewers.
Heat a griddle pan over a medium heat. Drizzle the kebabs with a little oil and cook for 14-16 minutes (10-12 for the lamb) or until cooked through, turning every 3-4 minutes until golden on all sides.
In a bowl, add the mango, spring onion, salad leaves, red chilli and herbs. Drizzle with a little olive oil and a squeeze of lime juice. Season with a little salt and toss to coat.
Serve the kebabs with the potato and fresh mango salad garnished with fresh herbs and flaked almonds.
- For the Coronation Chicken Skewers
- 4 large chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks or 650g diced lamb leg
- 200ml Greek yoghurt or thick set natural yoghurt
- 2 tbsp good quality mango chutney
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- For the Curried Jersey Royals
- 750g Jersey Royals or waxy salad potatoes
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp medium curry powder
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- juice of ½ lime
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1-2 tbsp snipped chives
- For the Mango Salad
- 1 large mango, stoned and sliced
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- small bag of mixed watercress & spinach leaves
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and cut into rings
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander, plus extra to garnish
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint, plush extra to garnish
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2-3 tbsp flaked almonds, toasted, to garnish