Crispy Cauliflower Jerk Bites with Jerk BBQ Sauce
Crispy, crunchy, spicy and so tasty – these vegan friendly cauliflower bites are great for a sharing snack or a light lunch. Dip them into a spiced-up Ginger Beer BBQ sauce for a real punch of flavour. I’ve baked my vegan cauliflower bites for a healthier snack, but you can deep fry for extra crunch or, of course, pop them into an air-fryer.
Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
In a bowl, combine the flour, milk, jerk paste, garlic powder and a good pinch each of salt and black pepper. Whisk until well combined into a thick batter.
Put the breadcrumbs, desiccated coconut and a small pinch of salt into a shallow dish and mix together.
Dip a cauliflower floret into the jerk batter and then toss in the breadcrumbs and coconut, until fully coated. Place on the lined baking tray. Repeat with the remaining florets.
Spray with a little oil and bake for 25–30 minutes until golden brown and crispy, turning the cauliflower pieces after 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a bowl mix together all the ingredients for the Jerk BBQ sauce. Adjust the jerk paste according to taste.
When the cauliflower bites are cooked, place on a serving platter and scatter over the spring onions. Serve immediately with the BBQ sauce for dipping.
*Our Caribbean Creations range is available from selected Tesco stores and from Tesco online.
- For the Cauliflower Bites
- 100g plain flour
- 125ml plant-based milk
- 2 tsp Ainsley Jamaican Jerk Paste*
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 125g panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 large cauliflower (about 800g), broken into florets
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- oil, for spraying
- 2 spring onion, trimmed and finely sliced, to serve
- For the Jerk BBQ Sauce
- 1-2 tbsp Ainsley Jamaican Jerk paste
- 3 tbsp Ainsley Ginger Beer BBQ Sauce*
- 2cm of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated (optional)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- juice of ½ orange