Festive Bubble Patties
From Ainsley’s Festive Food We Love, ITV
These patties make a perfect start to Boxing Day and are a great way to use up any veggie leftovers from Christmas Day. I love the addition of a fried egg as you get a lovely richness from the yolk and, of course, I like to spice things up with a drizzle of chilli sauce.
In a large bowl combine the potato, vegetables and red onion. Add the chestnuts, stuffing and fresh herbs. Season well with salt and pepper and mix well with your hands to squeeze all of the ingredients together. Divide the mixture into four portions and work the mixture with your hands and shape into 4 patties.
Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat and add the patties. Fry until golden and crisp to touch on both sides, checking every couple of minutes to make sure the bottom isn’t burning. If it is, then lower the heat.
Meanwhile, fry the eggs to your liking.
Serve the bubble and squeak patties on a bed of watercress and top with a fried egg. Drizzle with chilli sauce or sprinkle over some chilli flakes and enjoy!
- 250g leftover roast potatoes, roughly chopped or mashed
- 250g leftover vegetables (parsnips, carrots, swede, cabbage, sprouts), chopped
- ½ red onion, diced
- 75g cooked chestnuts, roughly chopped
- 75g leftover stuffing (optional)
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- sea salt & black pepper
- glug of olive oil
- 15g butter
- 4 eggs
- handful of watercress, to serve
- chilli sauce (sriracha) or chilli flakes, to serve