Ginger Beer BBQ & Chilli Glazed Halloumi Skewers with Papaya Slaw
Sticky, sweet, spicy and delicious, these easy halloumi skewers are great on the BBQ or cooked on a griddle pan. Serve with Ainsley rice or wrap up in roti and enjoy. If you can’t find a papaya use a mango or try with apple.
If using wooden skewers soak in water for 20 minutes before using.
Mix together the Ginger Beer BBQ sauce, honey, chilli, lime juice and zest.
Cut each block of halloumi lengthways down the width (it should have a natural break) and then cut each half into three so that you’re left with 12 pieces in total. Place the halloumi in the bowl with the marinade, cover and chill for 1 hour.
Meanwhile whisk together the apple cider vinegar and sugar. Whisk in the olive oil and hot pepper sauce to taste and season with salt. Put the papaya, cabbage, onion and herbs into a salad bowl.
Preheat a BBQ or griddle pan over a medium-high heat.
Thread the halloumi onto skewers (reserving the marinade in the bowl) and lightly drizzle with oil. Brush the griddle pan or BBQ grill with oil and then cook the skewers for 1-2 minutes on each side, brushing with the marinade as you go, until the halloumi has softened and chargrill marks have appeared (use tongs rather than the sticks to turn the halloumi as it’s easier).
Add the dressing to the slaw, toss to coat and check for seasoning. Serve the halloumi skewers straight away, drizzled with any remaining marinade and with the slaw on the side.
- Ainsley rice, couscous or roti, to serve
- For the Halloumi Skewers
- 3-4 tbsp Ainsley Ginger Beer BBQ Sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ lime, juice and zest
- 2 x 250g blocks of halloumi
- For the Papaya Slaw
- 1 papaya, peeled, deseeded, sliced thinly
- ½ small white or red cabbage, shredded
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (we like Willy’s)
- 1 ½ tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 tsp Ainsley Hot Pepper Sauce (to taste)
- handful of coriander leaves
- handful of mint leaves