Hot Mexican Tamale Bean Pie
This is just like a Mexican shepherd’s pie. Use fresh chillies if you cannot get hold of pickled chillies. To prepare the dish in advance, make up the Quorn mixture and the polenta separately the night before, then pop the filling into an ovenproof dish, spoon over the topping and grill as normal.
Beat together the polenta, egg milk, cheese and add 2 tbsp of the coriander. Season and leave to stand for 20 minutes to allow the polenta to swell.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onions and garlic for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened slightly. Add 25g of the chillies, the Quorn mince, tomatoes, tomato puree, beans, stock, lime zest and juice and remaining coriander. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes. Season to taste and pour into an ovenproof dish.
Preheat the grill to high. Stir the remaining chillies into the polenta mixture and spoon over the mince mixture to cover. Grill for 4-5 minutes until golden.
- 120g quick cook polenta
- 1 egg
- 450ml skimmed milk
- 120g reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large red onions, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 50g pickled hot red chilies, roughly chopped
- 350g Quorn mincemeat
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 400g kidney beans or mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 1 lime, juice and zest of
- salt & freshly ground black pepper