Island Rice n’ Beans Salad with Zesty Dressing
A wonderfully vibrant salad inspired by the flavours of the Caribbean – delicious on its own or served as a side to grilled chicken or fish. Perfect for picnics, lunchboxes or as a barbecue side dish.
Mix together the ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl. Set aside.
In a dry frying pan over a medium-high heat gently toast the coconut flakes until lightly golden. Keep an eye on them because it won’t take long. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Prepare the Rice N’Beans according to the packet instructions and put into a large serving bowl to cool. In a small bowl whisk together the oil, lime juice and zest and add honey, sea salt and cayenne to taste.
Add the avocado, pepper, spring onion, mango, coriander and scotch bonnet to the cooled grains and toss gently. Drizzle in half the dressing and toss to coat.
Serve the island salad garnished with toasted coconut flakes and fresh coriander and an extra drizzle of dressing if you like.
- 1 pouch of Ainsley Harriott Caribbean Couscous, Rice N’Beans
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 spring onion, sliced on the angle
- 1 mango, diced
- ¼ scotch bonnet pepper, deseeded, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander, plus extra leaves for garnish
- handful of coconut flakes
- For the Dressing
- 20ml extra virgin olive oil
- Juice and zest of ½ lime
- 1 tsp runny honey
- sea salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper