Jamaican-Style Curry Beef with Caribbean Rice N’ Beans
This is a delicious and easy slow-cooked beef curry with aromatic Caribbean spices – a hearty supper for the cooler months. Our Caribbean Rice N’ Beans are the perfect accompaniment.
Heat the oil in a large casserole dish over a medium heat. Cook the onion slowly for 6-8 minutes until softened, but not coloured. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add the beef, crushed all spice berries, curry powder, paprika, ground coriander and celery salt. Stir to coat the meat in all the spices. Add the thyme sprigs, whole scotch bonnet, tinned tomatoes and water. Stir and season well with salt and pepper.
Bring to the boil then lower to a simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 2 ½ – 3 hours or until the beef is falling apart and the sauce has reduced and thickened.
Cook the Caribbean Rice N’ Beans according to the packet instructions. Remove the scotch bonnet and serve the curry with the Rice N’Beans in warmed bowls, garnished with chopped spring onions and thyme.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 700g stewing beef, cut into large chunks
- 1 tsp allspice berries, crushed in a pestle and mortar
- 2 tbsp medium curry powder (Caribbean curry blend if you have it)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp celery salt
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 scotch bonnet, left whole
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 700ml water
- Salt and ground black pepper
- To Serve
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced and a sprig of thyme
- 1-2 pouches of Ainsley Harriott Caribbean Couscous, Rice N’ Beans