Mango, Avocado & Herb Brown Rice Salad
The avocados in the Caribbean are almost the size of footballs; when in season, they are available in abundance and the taste is sublime. Mixed with mango, rice and fresh herbs they make a wonderfully satisfying salad. I like to use a mandoline for the fine strips of mango.
Cook the rice in boiling water according to the packet instructions. Drain well and allow to cool.
Whisk together the lime juice, zest, mustard seeds and olive oil in a small bowl and season with salt and black pepper.
Place the mango, avocado, chilli and fresh herbs into a large serving bowl, stir through the cooled rice and pour over the lime dressing. Lightly toss together and serve.
- 250g brown basmati rice
- juice of 2 limes, plus grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 mangos, peeled, flesh removed and finely sliced
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled, stone removed and finely sliced
- 1⁄2 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- a handful of fresh mint, roughly torn
- a handful of fresh basil, roughly torn
- a small bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper