Matar Paneer with Tomato & Chilli Couscous
Here’s a quick and easy version of a classic veggie Indian dish with cheese, tomato and peas. It’s great for a midweek meal and is delicious served with our Tomato & Chilli Couscous (or try with Spice Sensation).
Heat the oil in a frying pan over high heat until hot. Add the paneer and reduce the heat to medium. Cook until golden on the one side and then turn until browned on all sides. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper
Add the ginger and spices to the pan and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and 2 tbsp water, stir and simmer gently for 6-8 minutes. Season well and add a little sugar or honey to sweeten the tomatoes if needed. Add the peas and chilli and simmer for a further 3 mins. Stir in the cream, the paneer, half the coriander and sprinkle over the garam masala.
Scatter with the remaining coriander and serve on a bed of couscous.
- 1 tbsp groundnut or sunflower oil
- 1 x 225g pack of paneer, cut into 3cm pieces
- 4 cm piece of root ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cardamom pods, lightly bashed
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 120g frozen peas
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1-2 tbsp double cream (optional)
- ½ tsp garam masala
- large handful of coriander, chopped