Cut the steak into long thin strips. Season well with salt and some cayenne pepper and set to one side. De-seed and thickly slice the red, green and yellow peppers. Peel and thickly slice the onions. Pre-heat the grill to high.
Mix all the salsa ingredients together with a little salt to taste. Transfer to a serving bowl. Spoon the soured cream into another bowl and put the shredded lettuce into a small salad bowl.
Heat half the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onions, peppers and some seasoning and stir-fry over a high heat for 5 minutes until soft and slightly browned. Tip onto a plate and set aside.
Add half the remaining oil to the pan and, when really hot, add half the steak and stir-fry for 3–4 minutes until well browned. Set aside with the peppers while you cook the remainder.
Return everything to the pan and toss together briefly over a high heat. Warm the tortillas under the grill for 10 seconds. Wrap in a napkin and take to the table with the pan of steak and peppers and the bowls of salsa, lettuce and soured cream.
To eat, lay a tortilla on a plate and spoon some of the beef and peppers down the centre. Spoon a little spicy tomato salsa and soured cream on top, sprinkle with lettuce, then roll up tightly and eat with your hands.
- 450 g (1 lb) rump, sirloin or fillet steak
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 small yellow pepper
- 2 large onions
- 150 ml (5 fl oz) soured cream
- 1 cos lettuce heart, finely shredded
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 8–12 soft flour tortillas
- salt and cayenne pepper
- For the Spicy Tomato Salsa
- 1 medium-hot green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, very finely chopped
- 1 x 200-g (7-oz) can chopped tomatoes
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 x 20-g (3⁄4-oz) packet fresh coriander, chopped