Mini Tostada Canapés
From ITV’s Ainsley’s Christmas Good Mood Food
Tostada, meaning ‘toasted’, refer to crispy toasted tortilla in Mexico where they use them as a base for a variety of tasty toppings. You can fry the tortilla in a little oil if you like, but I’ve baked mine for a healthier snack. These mini tostadas are perfect for canapes for New Year or as nibbles to serve with festive drinks.
For the Mini Tostada Bases
Preheat the oven to 220C/200C/gas 6
Use a 2inch cake cutter to cut out mini circles. Brush both sides with oil and season lightly with salt. Place in a single layer on a baking tray. Cook in the oven for 3-4 minutes on each side or until crisp. (don’t waste the leftover tortilla – they can be blitzed in a food processor and used to make crispy breadcrumbs).
For the Ham Hock with Chipotle Mayo & Pickled Radish
In a small bowl mix together the vinegar, sugar and salt. Add the radish and leave aside to pickle while you make the tostada.
Put the shredded ham hock in a bowl and add the spring onion, gherkin, ancho chilli flakes and a good squeeze of lime. Mix well and check for seasoning.
Mix together the mayonnaise and chipotle and spread a little onto each tostada. Pile on some ham hock and top with the drained pickled radish. Serve immediately.
For the Spicy Crab & Mango with Zesty Avocado (makes approx. 12 tostada)
Put the avocado, garlic, lime zest and juice into a mini food processor and blend until smooth (alternatively mash with a fork in a bowl).
Put the crab, mango, cucumber, spring onion, coriander, chilli, lime juice and zest into a bowl and gently mix to combine. Season to taste. Spread a little of the avocado onto the tostada and top with the crab mix. Drizzle with sriracha sauce.
For the Brie, Chilli Cranberry & Walnut (makes approx. 12 tostada)
In a small bowl mix together the cranberry sauce, chilli jam and orange zest. Top each tostada with a slice of brie and add a teaspoon of chilli cranberry sauce. Top with walnuts and sprinkle over the thyme leaves.
- For the Mini Tostada Bases
- 6-8 corn tortilla
- olive oil, for brushing and drizzling
- Ham Hock with Chipotle Mayo & Pickled Radish
- 4 radish, thinly sliced or cut into matchsticks
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 200g pulled or shredded Ham Hock
- 1-2 spring onion, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1-2 small gherkin/cornichon, finely chopped
- pinch of ancho chill flakes
- ½ lime, for squeezing
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp chipotle paste or sauce
- Spicy Crab & Mango with Zesty Avocado
- 1 ripe avocado, destoned
- 1 small clove of garlic, minced
- ½ lime, zest and juice
- 1 tin of white crab meat, drained and chopped/shredded
- 1/2 mango, destoned, and finely diced
- 80g cucumber, halved lengthways, deseeded, and finely diced
- 2 spring onion, trimmed and shredded
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- 1 medium-hot red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
- ½ lime, zest and juice
- sriracha sauce, for drizzling
- Brie, Chilli Cranberry & Walnut
- 2 tbsp cranberry sauce or jelly
- 2 tsp chilli jam (preferably scotch bonnet)
- zest of ½ orange
- 150g brie, thinly sliced
- walnut halves or pecans, toasted & chopped
- 1 sprig of thyme leaves, picked