Moroccan Medley Chickpea, Vegetable & Couscous Soup
This quick and easy chunky vegetable soup is packed full of flavour and has a delicious, spicy kick of Harissa. Topped with our Ainsley Harriott Moroccan Medley Couscous it’s a satisfying and comforting meal for the cooler months.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4-6 minutes until softened but not coloured. Add the garlic and cumin and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
Add the sweet potato, carrots, chickpeas and pepper – cook for 3-4 minutes (adding a splash of the stock if needed) and then stir in the harissa. Add the coriander stalks tomatoes, stock and seasoning. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer gently over a low heat for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender.
Prepare the couscous according to the packet instructions and fluff with a fork. Add the coriander leaves and lemon zest to the soup, check for seasoning and serve topped with a good spoonful of couscous.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated or minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 carrots, cut into 1cm cubes
- I x 400g can of chickpeas
- 1 red pepper, deseeded, cut into 1cm chunks
- large handful of coriander, leaves and stalks separated, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp (rose) harissa paste, according to taste
- 1 x 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 400ml of vegetable stock
- 1 x packet of Ainsley Harriott Moroccan Medley Couscous
- zest of 1 lemon
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper