Quick & Easy Brown Stew Chicken with Caribbean Couscous
This is a quick version of Ainsley’s Caribbean Brown Stew Chicken and it’s sticky, spicy and delicious. Serve with either our Caribbean-inspired Couscous or microwaveable Couscous, Rice n’ Beans. Great for an easy week-night dinner.
In a bowl, mix the marinade ingredients together, season and add the chicken. Marinade for 10 minutes (or longer if you have the time). Heat 1 tbsp oil in a deep sided frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the chicken (reserving the marinade), and cook, turning occasionally for 10-12 min until brown all over and caramelised. Add the remaining marinade, stock, thyme, parsley, spring onions and tomato. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes or until the sauce has reduced and the chicken is cooked through. Prepare the Ainsley Harriott couscous or grains according to the packet instructions and fluff with a fork.
Serve the chicken stew with the couscous/grains and sprinkle with parsley and spring onions. Enjoy!
- For the Stew
- 4-6 skinless & boneless chicken thighs
- 125ml chicken stock or water
- ½ tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 beef tomato, chopped
- 2 spring onions, sliced (plus extra to serve, optional)
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley, plus extra to serve
- For the Marinade
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp tomato ketchup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp allspice
- leaves from 1 sprig of thyme
- 2 heaped tsp of brown sugar
- ½ scotch bonnet or 1 red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 4 cm fresh root ginger, finely sliced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper