Sausage & Apple Casserole with Moroccan Medley Couscous
This is a comforting family meal that’s easy to make and delicious to eat. A touch of warm spice in the casserole works perfectly with the sausages, apples and our Moroccan Medley Couscous. You can use veggie sausages if you prefer.
Preheat the oven to 200C/180Cfan/Gas 6
Heat an oven proof casserole over a medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the sausages and brown all over. Use a slotted spoon to remove to a plate. Add the apple slices to the pan and cook for 2 minutes on each cut side until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside. Add the remaining oil to the casserole and add the onions. Cook for 4-6 minutes until softened then stir in the spices and garlic for 30 seconds until fragrant.
Stir through the tomato puree and then sprinkle over the flour. Stir in 350ml cider or stock and bring to the boil. Return the sausages to the pan along with the carrots and beans. Cover and then transfer to the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, stir and add half the parsley and the apples (add a splash more cider or stock if needed). Return to the oven, uncovered, for a further 15-20 minutes or until the sausages are cooked and the apples are tender but still with bite.
Meanwhile prepare the couscous according to the packet instructions.
Serve the casserole with the couscous and scatter with parsley.
- 1-2 tbsp light olive oil/ sunflower oil
- 6-8 sausages
- 2 red apples, cut in half, then each half into 3 wedges & cored
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 tsp ras el hanout
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp flour
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 x tin of cannellini or butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp flour
- 350-400ml dry cider or stock
- 1-2 packets of Ainsley Harriott Moroccan Medley Couscous
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper