Souvlaki Pork Kebabs with Alternative Greek Salad
From Ainsley’s Food We Love, ITV
The aroma of oregano and gently spiced pork cooking on the grill conjures up memories of holidays in Greece and Cyprus. Maroulasalata is less known than the typical Greek salad with feta and olives, but it’s one of my favourites – crisp, fresh and herby and perfect with the gently spiced kebabs.
Place the pork in a large mixing bowl, add all of the marinade ingredients and season well. Give everything a good mix to ensure that the pork is evenly coated. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least an hour, preferably overnight.
Take your marinated pork out of the fridge and allow to return to room temperature. Pre-heat the barbecue/grill or griddle to hot. Remove the pork pieces from the marinade and thread on to skewers. Cook the skewers for 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally, until cooked through. Add the lemon wedges onto the grill to char a few minutes before the end of cooking.
Meanwhile make the salad. Roughly shred the lettuce and place in a large bowl. Add the spring onions, dill and parsley.
In a small bowl whisk together the oil, vinegar and oregano then season well. Pour the dressing over the salad, add the almonds and toss together.
Serve the Souvlaki with the salad, flatbreads and charred lemon wedges for squeezing.
- 700g pork shoulder, cut into 2-3cm cubes
- For the Marinade
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large clove of garlic, grated
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp of dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- ½ tsp sweet paprika
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the Greek Green Salad
- 2 romaine hearts
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh dill
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 5 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To Serve
- flatbreads or pitta
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges