My beanburgers are nutritious, easy to make and delicious. Kids love to prepare them, and can’t wait to eat them. If it’s a nice day, why not slap ‘em on the barbie? Make sure you squeeze as much water as possible out of the spinach, otherwise the burgers may break up when they are cooked.
Heat the oil in a small pan and cook the onion, garlic and the chilli for 5 minutes until softened. Squeeze the excess moisture out of the spinach and place in a large bowl.
Mash the beans well and mix with the spinach, breadcrumbs, coriander and cumin. Add the fried onion mixture and stir well.
Season to taste and with slightly wet hands, shape into 4 round burgers and pat them dry with kitchen paper. Grill, or spray with oil and shallow fry for a few minutes on each side until crisp and golden. Serve in burger buns with salad and yogurt mixed with fresh chopped herbs.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small hot, red chilli, finely chopped
- 100g frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 400g can cannellini beans
- 50g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- burger buns and salad, to serve