Sweetcorn Fritters with Poached Egg and Avocado & Black Bean Salsa
From Ainsley’s Food We Love, ITV
Sweetcorn fritters are my favourite weekend brunch and I cook them often for family and friends. The avocado and black bean salsa adds a lovely freshness and zing and the whole dish is brought together with the richness of a nicely poached egg.
Place the creamed sweetcorn and sweetcorn kernels in a mixing bowl, stir in the flours, baking powder, spring onion and some seasoning. Mix until combined.
Combine all of the salsa ingredients in a bowl except the honey. Season and add the honey and extra lime juice, if needed.
Meanwhile- heat 3-4 tablespoons of oil (for each batch of fritters) in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add 4-6 heaped spoonfuls of the batter depending on size of pan making sure they’re spaced well apart and using the tip of the spoon to create a nice round shape. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until richly golden and cooked through. Remove from the pan, place on kitchen paper to drain and keep warm while you make the remaining fritters.
Serve the fritters topped with black bean salsa and a poached egg. Finish with chilli flakes (if using) and a scattering or fresh parsley or coriander.
- For the Sweetcorn Fritters
- 1 x 418g can of creamed sweetcorn
- 1 x 198g can of sweetcorn, drained
- 75g plain flour
- 25g cornflour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- sunflower oil, for frying
- poached eggs, for serving
- For the Salsa
- 1 large avocado, stoned and diced
- 2 tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 1 small tin of black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, finely diced (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp roughly chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- juice of ½ lime (or lemon)
- 1 tsp honey
- To Serve
- chilli flakes (optional) and fresh coriander or parsley, roughly chopped