Tasty Bean Stew with Couscous
Hearty, healthy and warming – this store-cupboard bean stew is packed with flavour and ready in no time. Serve with your favourite Ainsley couscous (it works particularly well with Spice Sensation or Roasted Vegetable).
Heat the oil in a wide based pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-6 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and tomato purée and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
Add the tinned tomatoes, chilli flakes, butter beans and herbs and stir through the sugar or honey. Season with salt and pepper, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir and loosen with a dash of veggie stock or water if needed. Add the frozen green beans, stir and cook for 6 minutes.
Meanwhile prepare the couscous according to the instructions on the packet and fluff with a fork.
To serve, divide the couscous between two bowls, add the bean stew and top with a drizzle of pesto.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 x can chopped tomatoes
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 1 x 400g can of butter beans
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp brown sugar or honey
- 100g frozen green beans
- 1 packet of Ainsley Harriott Couscous
- Sprig fresh rosemary or ½ tsp mixed dried herbs
- To serve, drizzle of pesto (optional)