Thai Turkey and Coconut Broth with Chilli, Coconut & Coriander Scones
From Ainsley’s Festive Food We Love, ITV
Spice up your Boxing Day with this light and delicious Thai Turkey broth. It’s a great way to use up leftover turkey but you can also use chicken, prawns or tofu if you prefer.
If making your own paste, place the ingredients for the paste into a food processor and blend until smooth.
Heat a little oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the paste. Cook for 1-2 minutes until aromatic.
Add the ginger, shallots and stir to coat in the paste. Cook gently for a few minutes to let the flavours infuse. Add the turkey, mushrooms and stock and gently poach, simmering for 2-3 minutes or until turkey is just warmed through. Stir in the coconut milk, fish sauce, the chilli, salt and palm sugar bring to a gentle simmer for a couple of minutes. Turn off the heat and add the juice of 1 lime. Adjust salt and lime according to taste.
For the Scones
Place the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl and stir to combine. Grate the creamed coconut over the flour (It’s easier if the coconut cream has been kept in the fridge).
Stir to combine then add the chopped chilli, chopped coriander, zest and juice of a lime. Mix until the ingredients are evenly distributed. Add enough milk to just bring the dough together.
Tip onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out to a 2cm thickness. Stamp out rounds using a 4.5cm cutter, place onto a baking tray and brush with a little milk. Bake for 12 minutes until risen and golden brown.
Serve in warmed bowls scattered with fresh coriander and chilli and the Chilli, Coconut and Coriander Scones on the side.
- 1 heaped tbsp of Thai green paste
- To Make Your Own Paste
- 1 tbsp veg oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 inch fresh galanghal or root ginger, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 stick of lemongrass, bruised
- 6 kefir lime leaves
- 2 fresh Thai chilies, seeds removed
- zest of 2 limes
- handful of fresh coriander
- For the Broth
- 2 inch fresh root ginger, julienned (or galangal root, sliced into ⅛ thick discs)
- 500ml chicken broth
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 325g shredded cooked turkey or chicken
- 150g button or oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 3-4 tbsp fish sauce
- 1-2 chillies (green or red), thinly sliced, plus extra to serve
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 tsp palm or brown sugar
- 400ml can of coconut milk
- juice of 1-2 limes, to taste
- handful of coriander leaves, to serve
- For the Chili, Coconut & Coriander Scones
- 225g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g block coconut cream, grated
- 1 small green chilli, finely chopped
- 10-15g fresh coriander, finely chopped
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 150ml milk (you may not need it all), plus a little extra for glazing