Tropical Rum Crumble
From Ainsley’s Food We Love, ITV
A classic crumble with a tropical twist.
Preheat the oven to 200C/180Cfan/Gas 6
Put the apple, pineapple, cinnamon and fruit juice in a saucepan or saute pan and cook over a low heat for 7-8 mins until the fruit starts to soften – add a little water if needed.
Remove from the heat and stir in the rum, banana and lime zest then spoon the fruit into a pie dish. Sprinkle over the ginger and set aside.
Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs, then stir in the sugar, coconut and a good pinch of ground ginger. Spoon over the fruit and bake for 30-35 minutes until the topping is golden.
Serve with custard and a grating of fresh nutmeg.
- 2-3 apples, peeled & cored, thickly sliced
- 1 small pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 2cm cubes
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp orange or pineapple juice
- 2 firm bananas, thickly sliced
- good splash of rum or coconut rum
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 tsp ground ginger, plus extra pinch
- 110g chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 175g plain flour
- 4 tbsp light muscovado or golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp desiccated/shredded/flaked coconut