Oven-Baked Chicken with Chorizo & Artichokes
This one-pot wonder gives loads of flavour for minimum effort and is guaranteed to wake up your taste buds. If you don’t have a suitable casserole dish, use a large frying pan, then transfer the contents to a roasting tin and cover loosely with foil.
Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Drain the oil from the jar of artichokes and add 1 tablespoon to a flameproof casserole dish. Add half the butter, then place on the hob to heat. Season the chicken breasts, add to the dish, skin-side down, and cook for 2–3 minutes until lightly browned. Turn over and cook for another minute or so until sealed. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Add another tablespoon of the artichoke oil to the dish with the remaining butter, then tip in the onion and garlic. Sauté for 2–3 minutes until softened but not coloured. Add the chorizo and rice and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring until the chorizo has begun to release its oil and all the rice grains are well coated.
Pour the wine into the pan, stirring to combine, then add the stock and fold in the artichokes. Arrange the chicken on top, pushing the breasts down into the rice. Cover and bake for 35–40 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed and the chicken and rice are cooked through and tender. Scatter over the parsley and serve.
- 1 x 300-g (11-oz) jar artichoke hearts preserved in olive oil
- 25 g (1 oz) butter
- 4–6 chicken breast fillets (skin on)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100 g (4 oz) chorizo sausage, sliced
- 350 g (12 oz) long-grain rice
- 150 ml (5 fl oz) dry white wine
- 600 ml (1 pint) chicken stock
- the leaves from 1⁄2 x 20-g (3⁄4-oz) packet flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper